New on the list

Hello!

My name is Frank Carvalho. Joined this list as I have been looking
for a forum to discuss reel-to-reel machines, tape delays etc.
I make prog rock with an experimental electronic edge, and to get
some really great effects I use a ReVox A77 and an old Bang&Olufsen
Beocord 2000 to supplement a Boss DD-3 and some funky Yamaha effect
unit. So as you see, lo-fi is not a big problem for me, but maybe
rather an interesting property of the equipment.

Is there anybody on this list that would know anything about maintaining
a Beocord 2000? I have several problems with this machine, but I would
like to get it to work properly, as it records in 2 track, has a very slow
speed and built in S-on-S. My problem is that it seems not to have the
force anymore to drive the tape forward at the fastest speed. What are
the most common problems of this sort?

Another question related to the A77. I recently put on some app. 20 ys.
old masters to transfer the music to computer. I properly cleaned the
heads, but horror, it sounds like the head make big noisy scratches on the
magnetic surface. I am afraid that I may have lost a lot of precious
information on the old tapes, and I am afraid to put more original master
tapes onto it. Is this a problem with the heads, or is it the tape age?
The tapes seemed to leave quite a lot of residue. If it is the tapes,
what is the procedure of baking tapes?

Cheers

Frank Carvalho