re[2]: Chords (was Adrenalinn)

hmm, the impression i've been under (due to music history classes in
college) is:

1.  bach did not have a "chordal" language to work with, he worked with
interweaving melodies (to say the least)....he did not think in major and
minor triads. (at least not verticaly...i believe that intervals were
considered important as they were presented in melodic lines (doctrine of
affections).

2.  the "music theory" that we are exposed (subjected) to in music school
is really rameau's analysis (100 years later) of what bach did
naturally...the chord progressions, no paralell 5ths, contrary movement
are all "rules" set up to emulate what bach's intuition and ear made him
do instinctavly.

3.  it really is a testament to bach's genius that his work was so in tune
with "nature" (the physics of sound) and the overtone series....these
structures of sound were seemingly transparent to bach, and he intuitively
was able to make "nature speak through music".

please correct me where i'm wrong...some other time, i'll post some of my
own "theory of modern music" ideas.

deknow