Re: O.T. Computers

I think we've pretty much defined the neophyte computer-user dilemma:
Mac or PC?

I don't want to instigate the customary debate, and I caution others
to refrain. I do want to suggest that the choice between the two
platform should be based, not on which is "better," but on other
criteria.

One thing to consider is whether there are any particular pieces of
software that you really, really want to work with. For example, I
lot of PC users really love Acid, and this is ample reason for them
to use a PC. Similarly, a lot of Mac users are totally immersed in
Max/MSP programming, so there is no reason to consider a PC.

However, in each of these cases there might be, if not a direct
equivalent, at least a comparable program that runs under the other
operating system. Mac users have Live for loop-based composition and
performance. PC users have PD for interactivity. So check out the
tools and the alternatives before committing to a platform.

Another consideration is your social/technical support system. What
are your friends using? Are they happy with their computing
environment? Do you want to easily exchange files with them? You
might be best served by going along with the crowd, as long as the
crowd is going someplace you also want to go.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com