Re: Tape Op Magazine Take 3

--- lance glover <baumhaus@earthlink.net> wrote:
> not to start a tapeop debate here, but i don't see larry crane's
> editorial
> viewpoint arguing for adats/mackie somehow equivalent to SSL's and
> studers.

Of course, you're right. Larry's one of the analog guys. <grin> My
example with ADATs wasn't really a very good one.

Perhaps I didn't articulate what I was trying to say very well. It was
basically that over the last couple of years of reading TapeOp, it just
gives me an overall feeling that they want to overly emphasize the
lo-fi aspect of things.

Creativity is an excellent thing. But nothing is going to make my
basement sound like the Record Plant. It just wasn't designed for that.

>...i think the focus is more on the
> debate about how much control/creativity/intelligence can be brought
> to the recording experience without succumbing to the status quo of
> places like the record plant, which, god love it, probably doesn't
> have the time or interest to try out some of the more novel
> approaches one typically finds in the pages of tapeop...

Not meaning to insult you, Lance, but this is exactly the kind of
statement that I'm complaining about from TapeOp, the insinuation that
if you have great tools and a great space, you're somehow going to be
less creative and more "status quo" then if you don't. I think a
creative person will do creative work no matter where they work.

But hey, we're on the same page really. I LIKE reading TapeOp! It's a
good magazine, and I recommend it to a lot of people. But I also like
lookin at the big places in Mix. Sure would be nice to have those kind
of tools available!

Greg