Re: emmersive sound

--- "K. Douglas Baldwin" <dbaldwin@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:

>     The only problem with setting up this kind of surround-sound
> delay is
> the time lag introduced by sound through air. I don't know the
> formula
> offhand, but after about two hundred feet, it is signifigant.

It's approximately 1ms of delay for each foot of air the sound travels
through.

>     At the Watkins Glen concert in upstate New York (early 1970's,
> 600,000-plus people) the sound techs introduced a time-delayed signal
> to the
> towers of speakers radiating from the stage so that it would roughly
> reinforce the stage sound as it plowed through the humid summer air.

This is done at virtually any event where the speakers are placed at
varying distances from each other. That way the sound appears
coherently at most places in the listening field. Most crossovers have
a delay which can be used to compensate for the distance between subs
and mid/high cabs too.

Greg