Re: musicality vs. gear quality (was Re: loop mud)

>Why so perplexed?  You cut down an open performance.
By definition,
>that means anyone can play.  The good thing about
that is that all
>levels are welcome.  Also, that kind of forum is a
great place to
>experiment and try things out.

I agree and although I didn’t realize how sensitive
members of this list are, does honest
criticism/questioning warrant a hostile attack geared
at my musical abilities which were not put on display
even at an open jam?  Does it warrant a musical
challenge (which I accepted being one who enjoys
arguing and trys not to talk what I can’t back up)?
Does it warrant an individual attack posted to a list
for everyone to read (in the days when we argue about
private emails being posted to the list)?  I don’t
think so.

My original post obviously came across as me bashing
the individual musicians involved which isn’t the case
at all…I was questioning/bashing the intentions of the
open jam (to an extent).  I made some comments with
the goal of finding out what the intentions are of
list members using the gear…are you looking to have
devices that create controlled noise?  Are you looking
to use these tools to expand what you as an individual
musician can create alone?  Or not really sure what
your intentions are, but you are having a damn fun
time pushing buttons and turning nobs while trying to
figure them out?  I joined this list because their
isn’t much venue for people to discuss this gear and
if you’ve ever mentioned anything more in depth than
the words ‘midi compatible’ to a salesperson at most
stores, you get some sort of confused expression and
then watch a salesman try and bluff their way through
selling a piece of expensive gear that all they know
about is what is written on the box.  I was trying to
find out who I’m dealing with?  I’ve been very
impressed with the knowledge exchange and wanted to
know if this is a group of musicians or just a group
of audiophiles or both.  Before joining this list, I
searched out info on this kind of stuff through other
sources, but was lead here as this is pretty much the
best place for this kind of information that I’ve come
across…and every venue that I explored left me looking
for more whether it be knowledge about gear or
examples of practicle use (and I use that term
loosely).

I don’t recall bashing any specific musician or
musicians at the loop or even outside of the loop (but
I can be wrong…if anyone still has my original post,
please send it to me off list – maybe I did say some
mean things…at this point I don’t even remember what I
wrote), but I did have a complaint that it seemed to
me that most of what I’ve seen is musicians (and I use
that term even looser) who seem far more concerned
with their rigs and buttons than with their music…if
people took my general complaint as a personal stab at
them, then maybe that says something about their views
of what they are doing…and maybe these individuals
should be more concerned about how they feel about
their art then how others feel about it.  I’m sure
that almost all ground breaking artists encountered
people who didn’t get their art or didn’t like it…but
they pressed forward and found their audience.
Several people in my life don’t get my music, but then
there are plenty of others who actually really enjoy
it and find it inspiring…but I know what I’m trying to
do and some criticism that I receive has no bearing to
me at all, but other types of criticism make me step
back and re-evaluate what I’m doing (it depends on the
critic and what/how they are critiquing what I do).
I’m sorry that folks got offended, but an important
part of being an artist is being able to hear
constructive criticism and accept those comments that
you feel are valid while ignoring those comments that
you feel are missing the point you are trying to get
across.

>  Why bother cutting people down?  Now if

my point exactly…but I think that you have missed the
fact that I’m really the one getting directly and
deliberately attacked for my opinions.  David is
getting cut down because he read my post and took it
personally.  Sorry, but I didn’t say anything about
david or about the fretless guitar player (who are the
same person) that should have been taken the wrong
way…but after seeing his response bashing my opinions
and abilities (which he still has not heard), I’m
tempted to tear apart his playing and compare him to
the people who I look at as ground breaking artists
(maybe that’ll knock the chip off of his shoulder).

>you went to a traditional gig where you payed money
and didn't like it,
>well sure, give a review if you must.

I wasn’t reviewing the open loop…just posing questions
and thoughts about it…

>Perhaps they're all very musical at open loop, and
your idea of music
>is
>very narrow.

Perhaps…and I would go out and say that on individual
levels, I did hear a lot of incredible ideas and
playing ability, but as a whole, I heard a lot of
noise and every now and then some actual musical
connection between musicians.  My idea of music is
only as narrow as you perceive it to be (apparently)…

> Hard for me to say, as I've never heard a NYC open
loop.

So, like david (on the topic of my abilities), are you
commenting on something that you have no bearings on?
Are you cutting down my opinions?  Should I take this
personally?

Still believing in one’s right to have an opinion and
express it no matter what the popular consensus is and
eagerly awaiting all of the bashing on my playing once
someone from the list actually hears it…
evan