Re: newbie needing advice

----- Original Message -----
From: "Graham, Lindsay" <lgraham@post.cis.smu.edu>
> You're going to stay broke unless you change your demands on looping
> technology.  There is no single device that has six tracks of looping.
The
> Repeater has four, but only one input (stereo) and costs $500.  The
Echoplex
> has only one track and costs appreciably more (but has some serious
> features--check the archives).  You could get six Line6 DL4s, and that
would
> satisfy just about everything--including the optional decay if you left
one
> of them in overdub for a while--but that would be $1494.

That said, you may not need 6 tracks of looping.  I have a single Echoplex
Digital Pro, and I end up doing fine with just the single channel and a
little creativity.  The EDP has features that let you copy to a new loop in
real time as the loop is playing.  If I want to add a part and then take it
back out I just copy to a new loop and overdub on that loop and then go
back
to the previous loop.  The EDP can have up to 9 loops in it.  This turns
out
to provide a fair amount of complexity.

There are some folks who have the resources to buy several EDPs and
synchronize them.  The EDPs have great sync features.  I am also looking at
synchronizing the MIDI sequencer in my keyboard to the EDP and using a live
multichannel MIDI sequence for additional loop tracks, but I have not quite
got it working yet.  I have a Korg Triton keyboard, and would be interested
in hearing from anyone else who is synchronizing audio loops with live (as
opposed to pre-recorded) MIDI loops.

Good luck with your search!

-Vance