Re: The Silence is Deafening

While you wait, I'll share my favorite Loop4 feature so far: SyncRecord.

SyncRecord is a record mode which is active when Sync=In and
Quantize=Off.  If you're like me, you always use the EDP synced to an
outside MIDI source.  In Loop3, in order for your Loops to be in sync with
the drum machine(s), you have to keep Quantize=On, in which case recording
will only start at the StartPoint.  This can cause difficulties if you
have
a pickup note before the one, or if you lose track of the one altogether,
as I often do.  Of course, you can redefine your start point, but that may
interfere with the Mating Dance.

With SyncRecord, recording starts immediately upon pressing the Record
button and rounds to the next cycle upon releasing it.  If you wish to
have
your loop unsynced (with Sync=In), you can press Overdub while in the
Reset
state, and sync will be ignored for the next Record.  The EDP must receive
one full measure of sync to figure out the cycle time, after which it
displays that time on the screen.  If you press Record before that
happens,
you won't be in sync.

That reminds me of another cool pair of additions, Quantize=Loop and
Quantize=8th.  In Loop3, you have Quantize=Off or Quantize=On, in which
case your button presses sync to your cycle length.  Now, Quantize=Loop
quantizes button presses to the length of the entire loop (i.e. multiple
cycles), while Quantize=8th quantizes to the nearest 8th note.

That's all for now.  Believe me, even though I already have the new
software, I can't wait for it to be released either.  I'm looking forward
to some other list members getting their feet wet, so that we can have
some
discussion and try to figure out what all of these new features actually
do, and how to use them!  The beta test guys must either be sworn to
silence or else they just have everything figured out already ;), because
notice that they're keeping tight-lipped.

In case anybody in the know is still reading this:  Are presets the proper
way to drop in and out of quantize?  I notice that there are no DirectMIDI
commands listed for quantize settings.  Now that I've programmed the
PMC-10
to perform the basic functions, and I'm really digging the unquantized SUS
functions, I realize that I'd like for HalfSpeed and Reverse to remain
quantized.  I haven't figured out how to store and recall presets yet, but
it seems like you could possibly add a preset call to a button press to
control the quantization of a given function; for example, to have an 8th
note Replace or a cycle-length Insert. ???

-Hans Lindauer