Re: Looper Moving! - scenes, genres, and distinctions

Hey there Richard,

Thanks for the information regarding the ACF; I looked at the site and
it's definitely an intriguing orgnanization.  I certainly concur that
there are a lot of very worthwhile and viable "scenes" within LA, and
that it often takes a bit of effort to seek them out.

At the same time, though, I can't help but feel that it doesn't really
address the idea (such as it is) of an LA "looping scene," you know?
That, to me, is the fundamental issue of the thread - a guy thinking
about moving out here to be part of the "big California loop scene," and
the underlying question of, "Well, how much of a loop scene is there,
really?"

So the ACF, to me, doesn't really deal with the issue of a "looping
scene" as such, because it's based (as far as I can tell) around areas
of musical style and genre (in a general sense) rather than areas of
musical technique.  What if someone wants to present a loop based
approach that's totally improvised and doesn't involve composition?
What if it owes more to dance and DJ culture than the academic or "new
music" world?  What if someone's using amazing Repeater technique in a
live rock band?  The ACF doesn't seem to offer an outlet for these sorts
of issues.

And I also think this ultimately gets back to the age old issue of "Is
looping a style of music, or is it a technique that crosses different
styles?"  For instance, just a few minutes ago a fellow posted a
question about Jon Brion to the list, and felt the need to qualify his
inquiry by saying "While he is not explicitly avant garde, his looping
chops are impressive."  That says a lot right there, you know?

The fact that people might tend to equate looping with any particular
genre or style of music is potentially problematic, I think.  (And
probably a huge obstacle towards truly creating a scene that can cross
stylstic boundaries...)

Anyway, this has been on my mind quite a bit, of late...

Best wishes,

--Andre LaFosse
http://www.altruistmusic.com