OT: drum machine question?

I upgraded from a Roland TD7 drum module to a TD10 a while back and
really miss this footswitch activated record/playback feature the TD7
had.  You'd press a footswitch, play (it was smart enough to not start
recording until you hit a note), and then press again to end the loop
and start it's playing.  Pressing the footswitch again put it in overdub
mode.  Just like what you guys get with your jammans/repeaters/etc but
in the Midi domain.

Are there external boxes or drum machines that can do this kind of
thing?  Anything similar to a Korg Electribe type of groove box?  I've
been thinking about getting something along those lines anyway.

Thanks
 -Bill