SV: Loopers do it repeatedly (was Re: Fw: THIS IS FOR REAL. (THIS IS A LOOP BASED MUSIC LIST!)

> On Tuesday, June 4, 2002, at 05:49 PM, Jon Wagner wrote:
>
> > I'd love to hear other people's ideas
> > on using the repeater "organically."

> Fran: Stuart Wyatt [mailto:stuart@solostring.com]

> 1. When you record the first loop, the record button cuts out when you
> set the end point for the loop. This can cause clicks...

That's right. The workaround I'm using is to always record the first track
of a loop into Repeater without playing. Then, when left and right loop
point is fixed you can proceed with gitchfree recording on any of the four
tracks. It's a hard trick to do this in front of an audience and still make
some musical sense...

> 2. Ambient drones : Anyone tried this? Notice the 'clicks'....

I never get "clicks"... (see above)

> 4. Panning - When you delete a loop of all of its tracks, the panning is
> set back to the centre for all 4 tracks. Why?

Panning (as well as pitch?) is loop based - not track based. I also
disliked
this initially but now I love it. With a midi floor controller you can set
up different panning for different loops, which gives a dramatic effect
when
changing loop behind your playing.

If you want the track based effects, why don't you set up your controller
send also a pitch/pan msg together with the "active track" msg? That's a
neat trick :-)

> On its own, it is not a good organic looping tool. However, combined
> with something like the Echo Pro, Echoplex, DL4 or whatever, and a
> serious Midi controller, I think that it offers a hell of a lot of
> potential for an organic looper.

Definitely! I use it slaved to an EDP and IMHO this combo rocks! Especially
with the new Half Speed feature of the EDP. To bad you cannot change
"8th/cycle" by midi with the new EDP loop4 OS. How cool would it be to step
on a EDP button that kicks the Repeater into polyrhythmics!!!

Best wishes

Per Boysen
http://loopboy.tk
www.boysen.se