Looping is overrated :)

OK forgive the baiting title but there is a point to this. From all the
recent discussions on moving to somewhere else because the "loop
community" seems stronger, to Loopfests and such I felt I had to pipe
up.

The greatest music I have heard from loopers (from  the Looper's Delight
CDs to recommendations in posting from Phil Keaggy to David Zorn) seems
to me to be good *despite* looping, not because of it. Now don't get me
wrong, I am all for looping and looping tools, and repetition, and
messing with sound backwards, sideways, and again and again in-yo-face.
I think my personal track record (for those of you who know me LOL)
speaks for itself. BUT I personally feel that looping *itself* isn't the
point, even on a list of people called the Looper's Delight.  It's what
you DO with looping and boy there is some *great* stuff done with
looping out there.

This may be stating the obvious but the gist I was getting is some
people feel that they need to go somewhere where looping is encouraged
or more prevalent and things would be different for them.  I think that
is a red herring. Loop where you are and DO something YOU want to do
with it. Let's face it, looping and looping tools are pretty damn geeky
as a rule. We don't do this for the money or glamour, we do it because
our brains are wired differently (wrong? :)) Given that, you don't need
to move across the country to be "successful" in looping or even play a
gig with three or ten other loopers. As a matter of fact I've found more
success when I *didn't* play with other loopers but as part of a diverse
lineup of other acts. You reach more people that way and some of them
even kind of dig it. I personally think I played better too.

Phil Keaggy is consider an amazing *musician* not known to the general
public as a looper. Adrian Belew uses looping out the wazoo but he also
has a strong  pop sensibility and tremendous talent as a songwriter and
singer. Etc. People do fabulous things with all sorts of boxes. Buying
an EDP or Jamman or whatever or seeing a band with one doesn't mean
it'll be interesting or good or shite, it's just a box after all. Let's
not forget where the loop soul comes from.

Again, I am ALL for wanking and looping for the sake of it too. (Lord
knows I am!) That is fun and has it's place as much as anything else.
But let's keep it in perspective, we can (and DO ) do that anywhere. You
don't HAVE to  move or congregate  to play. If you mix it up or play
with other bands I guarantee you will not only get a bigger audience but
you'll find your loop chops improving as well.

And BTW Chicago is the GREATEST musical community this country has to
offer IMO. I'd move from SF to there instead of the other way around
LOL!

HELP WANTED PRODUCTIONS - Http://www.HelpWantedProductions.com
"Bringing you the best in Organic Electronic music since we started..."

Home of the Unusual Instrument and Recording Gallery with pictures and
info of Tube recorders, Omnichords, weird guitars, Casios, and more.