Re: FILM MUSIC STUFF

Dear Stuart,

In regards to your question about securing film score commissions.

The film industry is a very small community actually (no matter what city
you are in).
of this I'm sure:    people will not come looking for you no matter how
good
or appropriate
your work is.............

You will need to go after people whose work resonates with your
musical sensibilities................I would suggest that you try
documentary film makers first.
They are lesser known and frequently this is a great way to 'break in'.

Another  great way to accomplish this is to go to a local university with a
good film professor,
make an appointment and ask him to direct you to the most talented young
student filmakers that he or she knows.   Approach them and offer to score
their film
with your original music FOR FREE!!!!!

Remember, they are getting started just as you are, so you are both
bringing
exactly the same
kinds of experience to the table.   Also, they are doing what they do as a
labor of love.  That's why
they will be tomorrow's breakout directors!!!

Passion is the single most important element in success, if you ask me (you
haven't , so this
is all gratuitous advice and can thusly, be tossed aside in a heartbeat
without offending me.........tee hee hee).

Also remember, that tomorrows  Scorseses, Lucas and Spielbergs are exactly
where they were
at the very start of their career................in film school, making
their first short films.

Connecting with someone as fresh and talented as you are is a great call
and
much much more likely
to happen than Paul Thomas Anderson calling you out of the blue and asking
you to score his next
masterpiece.

Good luck!!!!!

yours,  Rick Walker

PS     I am amazed by the number of young artist who want to break into the
music business near the
top.............It never happens that way.   Dues paying is just another
way
of saying:  "Learn
your craft".   I'm all in favor of chomping at the bit;   at feeling
extremely confident about your
work:   I was the most insufferable 26 year old, know it all,
musician...........you don't even want
to know..............LOL..............but it takes chutzpah, talent, a lot
of hard work learning your 'shit',
and a good deal of luck to accomplish what you want to
do.................You seem to have
a lot going for you............I say GO FOR IT!!!!!