OT: Drum machines vs. Human beings

Dave wrote:
"Years ago I read an interview with Stan Ridgeway, then still with
Wall of Voodoo, where he said that drum machines ought to sound like
appliances. I liked that. If you want human feel, get a human! "

I laughed at this quote!    There is a place where I agree.

I have been a professional drummer and multi-percussionist all of my adult
life and am constantly besieged
with questions about both drum machines, sequencers and looping
devices............."Aren't you afraid of
putting musicians out of work"  These are my thoughts about this sort of
question and my feelings about
drum machines in general.

Just for a little historical perspective:

 Shortly after the turn of the century, when the Secretary of the Navy
prevailed upon the mayor of New Orleans
to shut down the Red Light district (for upright moral reasons), whose
Madams had been the financial backers for  the new music
that many white people were calling 'Jazz'  (a term which is synonymous
with
Sperm or Gism or Jizz),
they first tried to put pressure on the houses of ill repute by using
housing code
violations, trumped up 'disturbing the peace' violations and the many other
ways that cities have of hassling
musical establishments (and it continues to this day, bless their pointed
little heads).

Anyway,  as the sailors began to drift away from the port of New Orleans
(where the navy had disbanded leaving hundreds
of marching band instruments----drums and brass instruments, primarily
whose
prevalence and , hence, cheap prices had fueled
the early jazz musicians) and the finances started to drain out of the area
(sound familiar dot.com busters in the S.F. bay area?)
the Madams were forced to start hiring smaller and smaller bands to play
jazz at their establishments.   Also, many musicians
started heading up the Mississippi to look for work in places like Memphis,
Kansas City, Chicago and eventually, New York
and Los Angeles causing the spread to the rest of the country of both jazz
and blues.

At the time, the de rigeur rhythm section consisted of either a bass
drummer
and a snare drummer or
a bass drummer, snare drummer and cymbal player, which were the classical
drumming units in a Navy marching band.    As the 12 piece orchestras
became
10 piece and 6 piece and finally 3 and 4 piece bands (the 'typical' jazz
band size of today), some enterprising young black man (and I have never
found anybody to say who it was specifically in all the 1st hand accounts
and histories of jazz and drumming that I have read, which is a lot)  came
up with a 'contraption' that allowed him to play the bass drum with  his
foot and play the snare drums with both hands (because it was now on a
stand)..........it took 8-10 years later before another person (again,
nameless, to my knowledge) before another young black drummer added to the
contraption (which had
, by this time been shortened to the term 'Trap Set'----a contraction of
contraption, as it were) by putting two cymbals together
with a pulley mechanism to form the first high hat (although the original
ones were not "High Hats" at all, but "Low Bows" or
"Sock hats" because the cymbals were at the level of the drummer's
socks--------it took another few years for some one to
raise the heighth of the tube supporting the now named "Hi Hats".

In this way, the original 'contraption' inventor reduced the job of two or
three drummers and the budding 'Drum Set' and it's importance in the
original jazz ensembles was born.

Imagine what would have happened to the history of modern music if that
person had heeded the question,  "Aren't you
afraid that this invention will put musicians out of work".

Innovation occurs..............people are always looking for better and
better ways of getting the music in their heads out into the world.
it is a never ending process.   As a young man, I remember a producer
telling me "You can bitch and moan about the
proliferation of drum machines in recording studios, Rick, or you can learn
how to program them so you will always have work".

Well, from the time that I first saw the band Ultravox play with a trapset
player with only a bass drum, snare drum and cymbals
(wierdly minimal in the era of 10 tom, concert drum sets which were de
rigeur at that time (late 70's) and Roland CR78, which was
the first official primitive 'programmable' drum machine, I was transfixed.
I love the juxtaposition, timbrally, of the heavy drums and the artifical
and light sounding analogue drum machine sounds............I thought it was
really beautiful and it changed my life.    I through myself into the world
of what I call hybrid drumming:    real drums, percussion and either drum
machines or triggered samples.

Early on I discoverd that if I put an old Synare trigger on my kick drum
and
then made the note as low as I could make it but
shortened the envelope so that it was almost inaudible, that I could make
my
kick drum sound like GOD and still have all the punch
and attack and human nuance of a reall drum (which it was).

Well,  since then I have consulted and provide samples for EMU (I've heard
that my famous one headed kick drum tuning is the most used drum in their
sample library which makes me proud),  I've helped them choose sounds (the
EMU Carnaval and the EMU
Phatt) and I've programmed preset rhythms for the ZOOM 123.   I've also
done
a tremendous amount of programming for
musicians who feel like they just don't know how to program drum machines
realistically (boy, can I tell when most guitarists or keyboardists program
their drum machines).  As a matter of fact, tomorrow, I will be programming
an old Roland TR505 for
a steel drum band that does work teaching music to children in
schools...............they can't afford to hire a reall drummer
for their shows but they want their valuable tithing work to the community
to continue (and, lo and behold, a drummer will be
earning a little bit of money to program the machine with conciousness!!!

As a matter of fact, if any one is interested in this very off topic chain,
maybe I could show you guys some great tricks for
programming drum machines in the most simple and effective ways for your
music.   Just let me know if anyone is interested and I"ll post these
tricks
when I have time.

So, personally, I love electronic sounds and old analogue drum machines
because they are specifically not in the tonal range
of the drum set and percussion playing that I do.      I also am really
deeply into a kick lately to try and invent acoustic
instruments that sound as if they were electronic or processed and then
loop
and process them.

I feel like the companies are trying as hard as possible to make their drum
machines sound realistic and I'm heading in the opposite
direction................I guess I just dig the "NEW".    I'd be happy to
talk about some creative ways for looping drummers
to create new timbres for their acoustic drums that sound like they are on
Portisehead record or whatever.  Again,  just let me
know.

The human being is so complex that the drum machine companies don't have a
bat's chance in hell of truly duplicating
the 'real' thing..............It is the artificiallity of the drum machine,
ironically, that draws me to them..............I love the juxtaposition
of the highly processed and articificial and the extremely primal and human
and idiosyncratic natural.
It is, after all,   the world we find ourselves in today!    Part of our
existence here in this culture has to do with reconciling
the modern/technological/computer driven and automated aspects of our
culture with the urge to just bang on a tree trunk
or pick at a piece of gut stretched over a gourd.     I say,    RECONCILE
it
all!!!!   It's who we are anyway, n'cest pas?

So we come full circle (if you haven't fallen asleep yet---------------boy
am I long winded sometimes--------LOL) to
Stan Ridgeway's comments about drum machine that should sound like
appliances............

towards that end, I have a new piece on my next abstract electronica CD,
'Purple Hand' which I'm hoping to have finished by late summer and early
fall where I took a $60 sampling Casio watch and drove around the bay area
(to looping gigs, I might add...:-)
and sampled really cool cash registers that I heard................it came
out great............hope some of you get to hear it at some point.

yours, in looping and drumming and the love of drum machines.

Rick Walker (loop.pool)