Re: OT: CARP passed- this sucks.

I don't really know many details about the CARP thing, in regards to what
royalty rates would be fair or not. I do listen to Live365 a lot though.
In
my opinion, Herb Tarlek is a sales and marketing genius compared to these
guys. For all the listener hours they claim to get, the ads they manage to
sell are simply pathetic. All the other sites I've seen seem about the
same
or worse. No wonder they freak out about having to pay a royalty.

It seems to me that broadcasters should pay some royalty to whoever owns
rights to a piece of music, whether they are on the web or radio waves or
whatever. I have no ideas about what that rate should be, I gather that is
what a lot of the controversy is about. However, it seems pretty clear to
me that if the number is bigger than zero most or all of these webcasting
companies will go out of business very quickly. Most likely they will get
replaced by new webcasting companies that actually know how to run a
broadcasting *business*, as opposed to just knowing how to set up the
servers for one and code some html.

kim