Re: CARP Passed - This sucks!

IANAL, but....

I suspect that if a station only played submissions and insisted that such
submissions came with a release of rights with respect to Internet
broadcast, then that station would presumably be in the clear with respect
to royalties. I don't know whether the submission itself could be
considered an agreement to those terms, but it probably ought to be
possible to set things up that way.

So, assuming this passed muster with an entertainment lawyer, then I
could envisage a system whereby stations register themselves as being
interested only in broadcast-royalty free music and thereby gain access to
a library of musician/small-label submitted material. I could even
envisage terms whereby the stations need to provide playlists such that
listeners can link back to where they could purchase the music.

What the webcasting royalties shut down then would be the all Britney
Spears, all the time station. Or that station needs to make enough in
advertising revenue to cover it's royalty costs. True, this means that
I'll
probably never get to hear a radio station segue from Britney Spears into
Ted Killian's "Leaving Medford" but that's a loss I think I can live with.

Mark