Re: Why stereo? its a lesser spotted stan......

Kim Flint wrote: what

> actually happens in real dance clubs?

In reality?  You usually get a super loud distorted mix that's so bassy, it
drowns out most of the info that your ears can descern stereo information
from
(note, if the waveform is longer than your ears are apart, you can't tell
where it is in a stereo field) but most people are so drunk or on extacy
that
they don't notice much.

The largest stereo gig I did was a small down tempo rave of about 100
people,
and there were speakers on each corner of the room, as well as two in the
center aiming in.  I have no idea how they were positioned, but the effect
of
my more obvious stereo effects was pretty amazing.  The room was probably a
little bigger than SLO Loopstock, and everything was covered with futons
and
beanbag chairs, so the room was nice and dead.  I played a smaller place
recently, with high ceilings and concreat floors, and the effect was less
noticable.

When I've mixed sound live for bands playing larger places... I usually
wouldn't sum stereo feeds to mono, but do a soft pan (10 & 2 o'clock)
Mostly
it was from a keyboard player, as stereo guitar effects were less poplular
then.  (like early 80s)

Mark Sottilaro