Re: OT re vs880

--- lance glover <baumhaus@earthlink.net> wrote:
> 3) on the topic of the vs880, i have a question to the list. i have
> one
> of these small dinosaurs, and while i save money toward a 24 track
> unit,
> i figure the least i could do to make my recording life more livable
> would be to invest in a bigger hard drive for it (1GB sure doesn't go
> very far these days!). i just got an admail for a maxtor 120GB drive
> for
> US $160...does this thing fit, and/or what have others put into the
> vs880?

Lance,
Currently maxtor does not make 2.5" drives that are required to fit
inside the vs880.  You need a 2.5" drive like is made for a laptop.  I
have used fujitsu in my vs880, and hitachi, and ibm.  You can buy some
of these cheap at:
http://www.pcperipherals.com/
Here is a vs880 compatible media guide:
http://www.synthman.com/roland/support/supplementalnotes/SUPNOTES/VSCOMP.html

If you have problem finding what you want, write me offline.  I have a
dozen or so of these drives and could probably sell you one too.
The vs880 has a limit to the drive size it can use.  I think they can
only use up to a 4gb, 4 partitions, 1 gb each.  If you get a larger
drive it can work, you can only use 4gb of it.
I recently upgraded to the vs-2480, it is awesome.
bret