Re: Repeater's Demise

Well, Happy Independence Day anyway.

I've got one observation about all this, it's not much, but I've seen
parallels between the games market and the effects arena, based upon the
posts on this newsgroup concerning effects/looping units and the companies
that make them.

In the games market, one can have the best-seller of all time, and then, in
the motions to get the money for the sequel - a fairly guaranteed
purchasing
decision for many, depending on the game - it all goes to hell, and you
never see the sequel, though there's lots of talk about it.  Sometimes the
company itself ceases to exist within a year.  I expect that this is yet
another reason why getting work in the sound design area for games is
difficult at best. At the same time, though, perhaps they'll wise up to the
idea of using consultants for such work, and make it possible for some of
us
to get some footholds there.

It's just the volatility of the marketplace seems similar.  Granted, if you
work for a Gibson - a diversified company with more than one product -
there's a lot more support in process for what might otherwise be an
endangered product.  What would it be like, for instance, if the EDP had
been developed and maintained by a small firm?  It'd either be scooped up
by
a larger company, or we'd be discussing it wistfully just like the EH
16-second delay.

Those of us with firms producing such items would no doubt cast more light
on this concept...?

And, hey, does anyone else here play Quake III Arena, or its mods?

Stephen P. Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*
http://www.earthlight.net/Studios - The Free Loop of the Week!