Re: ambient then rhythmic?

>  > Does anyone here do loop pieces that perhaps start out in ambient
>fashion (no
>  > real time) and then move into looped rhythmic parts?
>  >  Is it necessary to have two units?

I dont use several loopers either.
I use UnroundMultiply a lot, as Andree explains:

>1) Use UnRounded Multiply (ending Multiply with Record) while playing a
>rhythmic figure, and hit record (to end the multiply) in time with the
>new rhythm you're playing, so you have a new loop that's been redefined
>to the length of the rhythm you're playing.
>
>2) Set sync=out, take an audio cable out of the beatsync jack, and use
>the click track which ensues (which the EDP automatically generates when
>sync=out, according to the value of 8th/beat) as an audible reference of
>where the pulse is within the loop.

uh, the beatsync jack only sends cycle pulses. So you may want to
start the ambient loop as a multiple to get the clock later: RECORD -
play two seconds - MULTIPLY - play another 6 seconds - OVERDUB when
the green counter shows 4 - keep on playing to get a smooth ambience.
Or use the MIDI notes out: There is a note sent at every fraction of
the cycle that hits the bell while the cycle kicks (is that right?)
so if you start out with the 8 sec loop and set 8th/beat to 4, you
get the same metronome.

But I dont use the metronome, I prefer to feel time:
It fascinates me to find the timing of the drone by overdubbing waves
into it. Start with one faded note, about half as long as the
continuing drone. By this you softly divide the time feeling. Then
fade another two in where you feel that one note is the most and
least present, so you have 4 phases of the loop, somehow. Take your
time and slowly come closer to the feel of this subdivision and go on
with shorter and lesser faded notes until you suddenly hear the
timing exactly and fall into the concrete rhythm - quite an amazing
experience!

--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org