RE: prerecorded loops

At 3:27 PM -0400 7/10/2002, Michael LaMeyer wrote:
>well, fwiw, since aphex twin builds many of the electonics he uses in his
>sets and recordings, i think he's a bit removed from the moby paradigm
>(not
>sure if he even uses a laptop, although he's built/modded digital
>electronics).

 From what I understand, most of Aphex Twin's recent work has been in
Max/MSP, so a live performance from a laptop is possible. I've heard
he's not that interesting live.

>don't know amon tobin ...

Saw him once, he basically DJ'd a lot of his stuff and the kind of
stuff that he constructs his albums from, Brazilian records,
50's/60's jazz, etc. Was interesting, but didn't blow me away. I
think I've read in an interview that he basically doesn't feel like
what he does is possible to pull off live. His records are amazing,
though.

The new DJ Shadow CD has a "Deluxe" edition version that includes a
2nd live disc, a performance with DJ Shadow, Cut Chemist and another
DJ. It's pretty interesting, lots of variety. I'm guessing that
Shadow is playing an MPC live, while the others scratch.
Unfortunately, it's only 12 minutes long, hardly enough to justify
the cost of it over the standard edition.