RE: THE RACK. Keeping to together...

Hey kid,

I found out that these are the details that actually make the difference
between a crappy rack containing expensive gear and a pro rack. Some of the
ideas I adhere to to avoid the former and reach the latter:

        i) no tape. Use cable ties, solutions using metal objects and
screws where
appropriate.
        ii) use self-built power-distribution strips. In the case of my
main rack,
there are three of them; one of them with 8 sockets
            with switch, screwed to the bottom of the rack. Two more,
suited for
being screwed to the wall, srewed to the sides, with custom
            cables (short ones).
        iii) avoid wallwarts at all costs. This can be done by a)cleverly
shopping
for gear, b) custom power supplys (don't know if this exists as
             a commercial solution, but one can integrate a transformer,
rectifier
and several of the low-power jacks to get rid of all external
             power supplies once and for all).
        iv) avoid external power supplies at all costs. This can be done
by see
above. If you absolutely have to use one (the Repeater comes to
 mind),
be sure to construct some mimic to fasten it securely to the rack as
described in i).
        v) make your cahles as short as possible. Have enough patch cables
of
different lengths ready. Plan the arrangement of the devices in the
           rack by minimizing cable lenths (especially makes sense in
those 20+ HU
racks).
        vi) floorboards are an issue of its own, and where I don't have
extensive
experience. In my case, a few devices are on the floor, and
 these are
not wired or held in place in a professional way. I suggest you do better.
        vii) When connecting external components with more than two
cables, think
about some kind of multipin connector. Example: the keyboard
  rack
with the SY85 and the Equinox connects to the main rack with 10 cables in
total. A huge time saver is a custom multicore...
        viii) Tie your external components to the rack with a firmly
attached
string that is slightly shorter than your cables.

Some of this actually extends over the point of your question. Sorry. Yet I
can say of the things in my rack nothing will get pulled out. And using
point viii), nothing gets disconnected, either. This leaves only the
connections to the main mixer and the power feed for possible
disconnection,
but this won't happen as I don't move around the main rack onstage. Of
course, I could still disconnect the cable from my bass's GK2B hexaphonic
pickup...

Rainer Straschill
Moinlabs GFX and Soundworks - www.moinlabs.de
digital penis expert group - www.dpeg.de