Re: Gr-33/VG8/Photon

Anybody interested in the king of unique, but unfortunately
dinosauric, MIDI guitar controllers:  The Photon !
I've got one of the original units made by K-Muse
before Gibson bought the technology and let it die.
(but not before John McLaughlin had 'em make him
a custom version that he uses on a nylon axe)
(and Calos Alomar of Bowie fame used one)
Great idea....  infrared light beams broken by string
vibrations count the frequency and amplitude...
I created a custom guitar with the hyperspeed version -
all B strings; the Photon does the proper transposing to
your liking.....  The tracking speed is about with the Roland
units, but the glitching is kinda high....though manageable.
And it could be tough to set up the strings perfectly in line with
the light beams....  But it is cooool....
I'm waiting for Axon to get better reviews or someone else to
jump on their technology...  Yamaha licensed their stuff and put
out a simpler box a couple of years ago...  I haven't heard much
feedback about it....   Anybody else ?
--
gary
@friendlyspider.com