Re: Loop strategies

          William, that's funny, I'm doing this very thing right now for
material
for the first Women's Looping Festival!   -Reverse speak, I mean...   -Go
figure...
  lol!, the laughing guitars sound absolutely hilarious!  Where can I hear
them?  -I also mimic my voice from time to time, -it cracks up students...
 lol!  <smile>

Laters,

G-Girl

At 10:48 AM 7/20/02 -0700, you wrote:
>About a year ago I was working on a solo CD by my good friend George
>Perry.
>George is a brilliant musician and writer who always challenges me in
>creative ways. On one particular tune, he wanted a chorus of laughing
>guitars. We decided to eschew the traditional use of a wah pedal, and got
>creative with a jamman. We realized that laughter has an almost saw
>tooth-like wave characteristic with a short rise and rapid fall time. To
>mimic his particular laughter I first sampled a bit of his laughter into
>the jamman. I then reversed the track, and proceeded to learn the cadence
>of his laughter played backwards. Then I did my best to duplicate this
>cadence on guitar, and the final step was to record and reverse the guitar
>track so as to mimic not only the direction of his laughter, but also the
>sawtooth-like characteristic of his laughter. We did this a half dozen
>times on different guitars (baritone, strat, and mini strat) to create a
>chorus of laughing guitars. The results were quite remarkable and
>hysterically funny. It almost sounded like the canned laughter you would
>hear on old tv sitcoms. The idea came from an attempt I made to create an
>answering machine message where I learned how to phonetically say the
>message in reverse and then flipped it over. ie. Hello my name is Bill
>pronounced: lliB si eman ym olleH. If I'm not mistaken I believe David
>Lynch used this same technique for the midget's voice on Twin Peaks.
>Bill

---

-Then, anything is possible..."

http://home.earthlink.net/~thefates