Re: Loop approach: Loop as effect

At 10:35 AM -0700 7/24/02, Kim Flint wrote:

>musical instrument = device physically and interactively manipulated
>in order to perform music; sound effect = device that passively and
>non-interactively processes sound according to some set rules.

This may be a subtle point, but oftentimes I (and many others) will
use an audio process in a "static" fashion as "part" of an
instrument. In such cases I don't think of it as an "effect" but
rather as an integral element of the sound producing system. "Effect"
as I understand the common usage, implies an external nature,
something that is overlaid on the "object" of interest.

Think of the way physical modeling synthesizer algorithms are
designed an my point may be clearer. A resonator in this context
stands in for a physical sounding chamber, such as a violin body.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com