Re: David Torn EDP manual

Reminds me of the fact that all the musical traditions are passed down from
person to person- not from book to person IMO- blues, jazz, Indian, Western
even- and that this human exchange is crucial to the development of music-
there are of course those seemingly self-sufficient creators who seem to do
it all on their own- but is never really the case- FZ, Ravi Shankar, I
remember seeing Ishtak Perlman feeling somewhat amazed when he played with
small group which performed Jewish traditionals and attempted to improvise
with them as they did- he sucked and basically admitted it was one of the
most challenging things he has ever done.

I am often confounded by the feeling that I should be entirely creatively
self sufficient- eternally inspired to create complete compositions all on
my own- and then the band gets together and the collective energy is so
awesome it grounds me to the fact that the interaction of musicians is a
wonderful thing. Upon closer inspection I see many of my favs worked this
way even though it may have appeared different on the outside- Bob Marley,
Patti Smith, Devo, Ravi Shankar, etc- there were clearly powerhouse
individuals involved but I'm sure the behind the scenes view would reveal a
well tempered perspective including a lot of group interaction. Heck-
Lennon/Mcartney for damn sake.

I remember working on the GOP project (we did it at LoopStock) and really
not knowing how to create ambient textures at all with my guitar- I lerned
lot from the other members and carried a tinge of that fact for awhile- and
occasionally I am plagued by feeling like a LaFosse rip off looping on the
EDP- *see middle section of "Felix's Erection" on my site- but hopefully
you
use the learned techniques with integrity and all is well with the world.

There is always a special feeling when you make discoveries entirely on
your
own though!

Cliff
www.om-studios.com