Excitement in Baltimore

All of a sudden, I wish I had the means to get to Baltimore. There are two
fascinating events going on there:

(A 12 hour uninterrupted improv?! Perhaps I'm taking this too literally by
thinking that there would be NO moments of silence. The idea of having
musicians play in shifts is really neat. Wonder what the chances are of
getting something like that together on this coast....)

I also notice that LD's own Rob Switzer is among the performers.

-------------------------

The Red Room is closed this weekend to make way for two extremely large
scale, rich events in the history of Baltimore experimental music that
are happening in Baltimore. Both events are entirely free.

"Oddstruments"
A gallery exhition of totally original instruments & their sounds,
featuring work by Neil Feather, Reed Ghazala, Eric Leonardson, Michael
Johnsen, Catherine Pancake, Ricardo Arias, Bradford Reed, Colin Hinz,
and Andy Hayleck. An incredibly rare dose of very imaginative stimulus.

http://www.johnberndt.org/oddstruments

- plus, simultaneously, next door -

"Sound/Shift"  July 26th, 27th & 28th.
Possibly the largest ever massing of musicians in North America for the
purposes of pure experimental improvisation, this event bring around 80
improvisors together for three day-long (12-hour) uninterupted pieces of
music, playing in overlapping shifts. An almost complete list of
musicians is at the bottom of this email. With no aesthetic constraints
other than that the music be wholy improvised, this is likely to be an
extremely varied experience, and one that stretches
perceptual, psychological, and social boundaries.

A complete schedule can be found at -

http://www.johnberndt.org/soundshift

along with the Baltimore Office of Tourism and Promotion, and Mayer
Martin O'Malley and the Citizens of Baltimore. Maps and directions can
be found on the web site--parking is complicated, so it is best to park
a couple blocks away and walk in.

at The Red Room
c/o. Normals Books and Records
25 E. 31st Street
Baltimore

http://www.redroom.org

Soundshift Features the following musicians:

BALTIMORE:

Neil Feather
Jackie Blake
Scott Larson