Re: Kim, my feedback isn't working

At 10:54 PM 7/25/2002, Gary Lehmann wrote:
>Still no word on Loop IV not being able to put a multiply cycle after
>insert--it just goes back to the first cycle--not like Loop III.

sorry, we're sort of busy sometimes and can't manage to reply instantly to
everything.

>Am I right
>or what?

yes you are.

>Your comments are welcome here.

in LoopIII, if you started multiply and then alternated back and forth
between inserting and multiplying, it did a neat thing where it continued
to add cycles but just changed character between multiplying and
inserting.
In other words, while in the inserting phase it would drop the loop sound
out and let you add stuff in a new cycle, while in the multiplying phase
it
would multiply the old stuff into the new cycles while you overdubbed on
top. You could quickly build an interesting musical structure this way.
(probably makes more sense in use than in words, for those confused.)
Anyway, that is something we had spent some time to sort out years ago for
LoopIIIv5.0, and that is what you were using for the song structure thing
you were doing.

In LoopIV, when you are in Multiply and press Insert, it does as before in
LoopIII. the sound drops out but you keep adding cycles, while you add new
stuff into them. But when you are in Insert and press Multiply (the
opposite), it doesn't keep adding cycles as before. Instead it ends the
insert and then starts Multiply as if you had really ended Insert and then
start Multiply as two separate things. So that special Insert-to-Multiply
cross function from LoopIII disappeared.

Why did it disappear? Well, I confess that we have no idea. It just did.
Somewhere in the past five years of developing it fell out the back of the
truck and we never noticed. I didn't notice, Matthias didn't notice,
Claude
didn't notice, Andy didn't notice, the beta testers didn't notice. We
didn't realize it until you pointed it out. We're really sorry about that.
I dunno what else to say. LoopIV was really really really complicated to
develop, we did our best not to make a mistake like this, but we missed
this one. sorry again.

kim