Re: Mains Filters... do they work?

"Stuart Wyatt" <stuart@solostring.com> put forth:

> Its 220/240 (I can never remember which), and I think 60Hz. Although
> main plugs (i.e. in the kitchen) are wired up for three pin plugs, it is
> not the law to enforce this for every appliance like it is in the uk.

I have found that such enforcement is um, selective.  New installations
certainly follow this, well, they're supposed to.  But there are still
quite
a number of places with the old wiring.  Including Buckingham Palace!  In
the Gold Room the two-prong stuff is everywhere, as well as functionally
plugged-in.  I suspect it's that which caused the fire during Jubilee
Weekend - but of course it's the Queen's turf, and so "it could never have
been the wiring!".

> Most sockets/appliances are connected with the simple two-pin plug, not
> earthed. The horrible thing about my rented apartment is that there is
> no earth on any of the sockets in the living space..... BTW: It is
> definitely not my fridge making the noise. One time I disconnected the
> unit from the mains, and the noise was still there.
>
> Then there are my neighbours with their powertools, pre-war fridges,
> electric chairs, photon ray guns etc. all producing random noises here.

You're not going mad.  I have recordings made in college (awful, yes!  But
so entertaining in a MST3K kind of way!) that have the signatures of fridge
motors and flourescent light fixtures all through 'em.  In one place an
"electronic cricket" kind of noise shows up every 12 minutes, even on
albums
I taped through the stereo.  As it turned out it was the on-off cycle for
the compressor of a fridge down the hall.

Stephen P. Goodman
EarthLight Productions
*
http://www.earthlight.net/Studios - The Free Loop of the Week!