Re: sample based looping vs. delay looping

--- Lance Chance <lrc8918@louisiana.edu> wrote:
> I have a Gibson echoplex and I just acquired an electrix repeater.
> One of my primary goals in looping is to create multitimbral
> sustained ambient drones.  the echoplex does this very nicely with no
> pops or other artifacts that occur as you record over the start point
> of your loop.   I was hoping to get a more versatile (and stereo)
> version of this same ability in the repeater.  Unfortunately, this
> was not to be. After some experimentation, I discovered that on
> overdub, as a drone or sustained note was recorded over the start
> point, there was a distinct artifact (a popping sound sometimes, an
> amplitude inconsistency others).
<snip>
> The whole point of this is to ask these questions: Am I right or just
> not using my repeater correctly?

I've heard this too, and have seen a number of people complain about it
in the past. For the music I make with my Repeater, it's pretty much
never a problem. Like Mark, I had to go out of my way to even reproduce
it after reading the complaints. I could get it using an Ebow on my
guitar with a single note. You could hear a brief level difference at
the loop point. But after layering other parts on it, especially some
with a rhythm, I didn't consider that to be an issue. It may have done
that because I wasn't very precise with where I started and stopped
recording the drone.

So, yeah, it does that, but it doesn't really bother me for what I do.
A constant pure drone in the background would probably bug me more then
inspire me, so it's not what I play. YMMV.

> Is there a stereo delay type looper out there in production or
> easily available?

I'm not aware of any hardware-based loopers that do stereo, but I
believe some of the software-based ones will. I suppose you could do
"stereo" with a pair of EDPs synched.

> Are all "dj" oriented loopers (djrnd3, red sound) like this?

Sorry, I'm not familiar with any of those.

Greg