Re: EDP - Sync With Cubase Problem - Strange

> Hi Andy,
>
>  Not sure what you mean when saying "...because you want the sync to
>arrive
>  at the EDP later than the loop end, rather than earlier."
>
>  I'm pressing the Record switch during the last bar I'm recording so the
>EDP
>  stops recording on the downbeat of the following measure.  I'm doing
>this
>  so I know I have a loop of X bars at a predetermined bpm.

As long as what your doing works as expected, then you can ignore
that :-)

Syncing a looper to MIDI is always going to be imperfect, as the
MIDI standard just isn't accurate enough for audio.
So every time the EDP syncs it has to make a correction.
The MIDI sync will occur either before or after the actual end(=start)
of the EDP loop, so there are 2 ways a sync can happen.

1) the EDP has played past the loop end by the time the sync
arrives, so in order to sync it simply restarts the loop again.
(sequencer was a little slow)

2) the EDP hasn't got to the end of the loop by the time the
sync arrives, so when the EDP restarts the loop it jumps
back almost the whole loop.

(and if either the sync is spot on, or too far out, no correction is done)

In Loop4, you can see the dot to the Left of the Multiply display flash
when
this happens, bright for 2), faint for 1)
(see p31 of the loop4 manual)

In the case of 2), what happens to any overdubbed material when
the loop "jumps back"????

andy butler