Re: Four amps at once

<<Brian May uses or used, three banks of four Vox

  AC-30s each, which he'd switch between, so
there may be some info regarding this in regard
to his
set-up.  -Best of luck...

I think each bank of AC-30's had 3, not 4 amps in
it, but I'm not sure, I'd have to check one of my
old Queen videos.

What he'd do is feed his guitar into a delay unit
(originally a customized Echoplex, but I believe
he later upgraded to a digital delay) set for a
second or so of delay, with the feedback set for
one repeat. He'd feed the dry output into one
bank of amps, while the wet output was fed into a
second delay unit, set up the same way as the
first. From the second delay, he'd feed the dry
signal (which was in fact the wet signal from the
first delay), into a second array of amps, while
the wet signal went into the third bank of amps.

What this allowed him to do was to play
something, and have it repeat back twice,
allowing him to do live harmony riffs and counter
melodies onstage, without overdubbing. Dunno if
this would be considered looping or not, but an
excellent idea of what he did can be heard on the
Live Killers version of Brighton Rock (he did it
on the studio version on Sheer Heart Attack, as
well, but that solo is very short).

The advantage of using three amps (or three banks
of amps) was that it prevented things from
getting muddy sounding. Each part was very
distinct and clearly heard because no new parts
were coming out of the same amp. And of course,
one could pan the individual amps so that, say
the original came out of the center of the mix,
first repeat hard left, second repeat hard right.

Now, how he was able to run multiple amps in each
bank, I don't know. Eventually, he started using
a pedal board that was built by Pete Cornish, so
I imagine that from that point on, he could have
(and probably did) use a splitter that Pete built
(if memory serves, Pete sells these, along with
other things, on his website). I suppose if you
had the cash, you could at least have Pete build
you what you want, you'd get the best quality,
best sound, etc, and it'd be indestructible on
top of that.

I recall that Whirlwind used to make a four way
splitter, it was a rack unit. They had an
optional footswitch unit tha went with it. You
could also use it the other way around, to sum
four seperate inputs (you could, say, plug four
guitars in). Dunno if they still make it though.

And of course, you could simply buy three A/B/Y
boxes, plug your signal before the amp into box,
then run each of the outputs into one of the
remaining boxes, and leave all three set on Y,
and PRESTO! Four outputs!

=====
May you never thirst!
The Scuba Diver Presently Known As Chris

"What do you get when you give a yo-yo to a flock of flamingos?"-James
Earl Jones