Re: loop device endorsement - was Santanas looping bassist

Hey Michael K-
you were wondering about people who are proud that nobody likes their
music, here's a perfect example for you:

At 05:01 AM 8/25/2002, Greg Waltzer wrote:
> > That's the whole point here. Big figures in pop culture are what moves
> > things. If we are interested in what will make looping more than an odd
> > niche, that's what it takes. A big shift in popular music culture that
> > somehow includes looping. Fringe artists and a few guys from decades
>ago
> > don't do it.
>
>Personally I hope that looping remains on the fringe.
>When it goes mainstream, that will be the time to move on to something
>else.

a. turn on your radio. the music there already is FILLED with loops. It is
everywhere. The only difference between most of that and most of what we
are talking about here is the technique, in that most of the popular music
today is made with studio constructed loops instead of real-time
constructed loops. So you better start learning accordion now.

b. as long as looping is a fringe thing, the tools you use for it will be
limited in variety and slow to develop. That hurts you, it doesn't help
you.

kim