Re: loop device endorsement - was Santanas looping bassist

>  > but doesnt it take another sticker to start with? One that sais
>something
>like:
>>  "I compose live with looping"
>>
>>  How many of the musicians that go to the Santana concert know that
>>  what happens in the bass solo is called looping?
>
>Yes, visibility is a real problem.  There's a big difference  between
>famous
>guitarist X who's holding the thing in his arms while on stage and some
>little box tucked away in a rack and being operated, usually
>unobtrusively,
>by a footpedal.
>
>2 examples of invisibility:
>Earlier in the summer I saw Eivind Aarset in concert, and he used a lot of
>looping.  You couldn't see a looper, though, and I doubt if anyone in the
>audience realized that was going on, since it was very much a part of his
>heavy processing.  I went up to stage later and saw an edp in his rack.
>Then I saw Garbarek; during Eberhard Weber's extended bass solo he use
>very
>clear (simple but very effective) looping, but while I'm sure the muscians
>realized he wasn't doing playing everything at once, I suspect the rest of
>the audience just saw him playing his bass.

I have seen that show, and the public arround me started murmuring
(whats that word? :-) about it, guessing how that all could be
possible. Some came close. Not musicians.

>I guess he was using an edp too, but i don't know because i couldn't
>see any rack, or even his footpedals.

true, they are almost on the floor and look to the right. :-(

>But I wonder how many of them ever discover that there are more
>possibilties
>to looping than the dl4 offers?  That's one of the problems with
>technology,
>that people often accept whatever is immediately available as the defining
>condition (my students' web-based research comes to mind....)  One of the
>things that makes the edp so wonderful is that you can change many of
>those
>conditions (especially with loop4), which in sense means that you can
>transform it into different instruments....

yes, it seems to turn into that more and more. We call those
"InterfaceModes" or in the end they are Presets. Instruments sounds
nicer :-)

maybe comparable: they still sell a lot of electric pianos, although
probably it would not be more expensif to pack hundreds of sounds
into the same machine. More and more they add some more instruments
to it, though: first it was a harpsicord and a fender sound, now its
strings and organs...
--

          ---> http://Matthias.Grob.org