Re: Pattern Sequencers (was Re: Repeater spotted for sale)

That's not a bad characterization, though I've not heard it used before.
Some step sequencers are intended to use with analog synthesizers and don't
have midi (they send control voltages).
Don't know of any generic description (there are a wide variety of
devices).
You can find out more from the Analogue Heaven or Gearhead mailing lists:
 http://www.code404.com/faq/