Synths considered harmful (was Re: Using the Wind Synth tocontrol the Repeater)

I'm going to try out a proposition here. I wouldn't say I actually believe
it, but it's a mildly provocative thought and lord knows this list needs
provocation.

Synths are bad for looping.

Why?

As anyone who has been to a loopfest will report, odd noises and sonic
manipulation tend to be in abundance. Arguably, that's one of the things a
looper is good for.

Now, when people hear such noises, they probably just think "Oh. A
synthesizer."

Guitar synths make matters worse. If a guitar player is looking to expand
his or her tonal palette, a guitar synth will probably win out over a
looper.