Re: Nu Metal vs. Steve Vai vs. Santana

At 08:17 PM 8/26/2002, Matthias Grob wrote:

>>I'm sorry if the world doesn't share your tastes in music.
>
>I dont know where you get all those informations from so exactly, but
>somehow I doubt you should talk about "the world"... where I walk, nobody
>mentions Eminem and I do spend time with young people. They listen to
>tango and discover Pink Floyd (no, not because their parents advise
>them!)
>and...

I guess you will be shocked to learn who the number 1 artist in
Switzerland
is right now:

Eminem!

http://top40-charts.com/chart.php?cid=23

Eminem is also:
#2 in Germany
#3 in France
#8 in Italy
#1 in Austria
#4 in Denmark
#6 in Belgium
and #1 for Europe overall
#14 in Brazil
#6 in Argentina
#15 in Chile
#8 in Taiwan

#6 for radio airplay in 78 countries combined

and #2 for the world overall, behind Nelly.

Eminem seems like a fairly popular guy.

look at those charts. One thing you notice is the same artists appear
again
and again on all the charts for a large part of the world. The same types
of music appear again and again. Globalization affects popular music
culture too. Most of the artists are from the US, followed by Britain.
Some
parts of the world support their native musicians better than others, like
Brazil, but most don't. No need for anecdotal evidence, the numbers are
there.

That's why I think if real-time looping techniques became associated with
popular wave of music culture, looping itself would rapidly become popular
worldwide. There is no sort of advertising that could reach all over the
world in the way a few popular musicians can.

>Dont they say that "darkside of the moon" is the most sold record ever?

they don't just say it, the charts show it. That album has been on the
Billboard Catalog charts for 1324 weeks. Pretty amazing. I guess people
smoke pot all over the world.

Also ranking on the catalog charts is the last two albums from our friend
Eminem, at #2 and #19. He's a bit younger than Pink Floyd so he's only
been
on the charts for 123 weeks.

http://www.billboard.com/billboard/charts/popcat.jsp

Then there's the soundtrack for the movie Coyote Ugly, on the catalog
charts for 107 weeks. I can't explain that one.

kim