Why so Heavy?

Hi Mark--My JamMan's working wonderfully!  Here's some further thoughts meant to clarify at least my opinions regarding the whole Santana vs. Korn thing...

>There's a lot of talk about Korn, but I hear their music and I don't find
>anything remotely new about it.

Right.  They aren't bad at all, considering.  More on this, below:

>Then we talk about Fripp as being a
>dinosaur.  Maybe he's not progressing as an artist as much as we'd like him
>too, but give the old fart a break.

I, for one, am a gigantic fan of Fripp.  He was the first guitarist I heard that made me realize just what could be done with not only the guitar, but music in general.  Then came Gunn, Belew, Brook, Frisell, and (especially) Torn.  However, the reason I decided to become a professional musician started with Fripp.  An interesting note: I was eighteen when I first heard him, and that was back in '95.  So, I can relate to younger musicians that are influenced by the great artists of the past, regardless of genre.  However, I also realize that people like me don't represent the majority of the listening public, and we certainly don't represent the majority of the instrument-buying public.  I mean, if we did, there would be no need for a list such as this.

 >Sure, Nirvana brought back pawn shop
>Fender Jaguars and old tweed amps (I really like Nirvana, BTW) but were they
>doing anything new?  Not at all.  Does it have to be new?  Why not just good?

No, but the problem with the music industry--and it is very much an industry, mind you--is that it takes advantage of the fact that the listening public has the collective attention span of a gnat (speaking from vast experience, I can tell you that a gnat is very difficult to hold an intelligent conversation with).  No, these bands aren't doing anything new, but the problem is that the business presents them as innovators.  They want us to believe that Puddle of Mudd or Linkin Park is the next new thing--it's advertising.  It sells more records.  Not nearly as many people would rush to get cd's by a band that "sounds almost as good as the original".  So, to summarize: in the long run, will a Wes Borland (or any new fad) have as much influence on guitarists as Santana or Fripp?  In the long run, I don't think so.  But for now, he's selling a hell of a lot more guitars to teenagers.

best,

jonathan