SV: Popularity/influence/etc.

This is not true in every case. I was checking out a gig with Gang Starr
and the energy level and fluent improvisation skills those two guys
(with guests) had on stage was nothing but the same expression that The
Jimi Hendrix Experience and other "power trios" put out thirty years
earlier. DJ Premier played two turntables, with vinyl records, at the
same time - keeping the beat (often heavily syncopated with lots of
stops and breaks) on one while "soloing" scratch on the other. He was
backing up the rap tightly and sometimes "pushing it", but with "big
ears", while Guru to some extent made up the lyrics right there on the
fly! Nothing pre-recorded about that IMHO ;-)

But of course there are lousy rappers and scratches. But haven't we seen
way too many lousy guitarists for some time? Another thing is that not
every young scratcher have the money to print out his beats on vinyl -
which is what you have to do to be able to play them like an instrument.

Best wishes

Per Boysen
www.boysen.se
www.fuzz.se