Re: EDP and a BIG burst of static/hiss

Mark-
over the years of dealing with this thing in excruciating detail I've
gotten a pretty good idea of which sorts of failures are hardware and
which
are software. In this case, like Bret said, you have firmware that is
booting up perfectly fine in a large number of units. Then you have one
hardware unit out of many that develops a sporadic crashing problem.
Chances are it is something specific with that hardware, since the
software
is the same as everywhere else. History has shown that this specific type
of bootup crash is usually related to the memory or the ROMs not
contacting
properly for some reason. That could be due to a bent pin, dirty or
oxidized contacts in a socket, or a broken solder joint. Those things are
relatively easy to deal with, so they are a good place to start.

Also, I've designed a lot of computer hardware in my career. I've always
rather enjoyed how computer users always think all crashes and problems
with their systems are caused by windows crashing or bad drivers. It
really
takes the pressure off the hardware guys.

kim