Re: MiniDisc for field recording

> I would think (but I do not know) that a portable DAT would have much
better A/D chips than a Nomad, since recording is it's Raison d'Etre, where
the Nomad is really about playing music and having the recording is
"bonus."
I looked on the creative site, but I didn't see anything about which WAV
formats it records in or what it's sampling and bit depth are.

It recordsa at a least 44.1/16 bit. I'm not sure if there are downsampled
options, or ones for better performance.

I would also assume that a DAT machine would have better A/D converters,
but
a minidisc's converters would be probably be comparable.

While I've had no opportunity to do any critical comparisons, I've been
happy with the quality of the stuff I have heard from the unit.

> I do most of my field recording on a MiniDisc, it's size, battery life
>and
ease of use are pretty key for me.  I record my gigs either on the portable
DAT or the MD.  My portable DAT ate a tape on Saturday night, so there you
have the downside.

Yes, DATs are limited lifespan instruments. I don't trust them any more,
myself.

bIz