RE: looping brings infinity?

On Thursday, September 26, 2002, at 09:39 AM, Looper in delight wrote:

> But we *are* nature.  We don't *mimic* nature.

Then S. Wyatt stated:  I'm not 100% convinced that we are nature.

**I am--
And here's more--I think the magic of looping is that it captures the raw
animal part (sound) in a clinical digital (or equally unnatural analog)
form, freezing the moment.
I have a few different performance situations these days--I've been mostly
playing live with other humans, doing rock and pop covers in a unrehearsed
situation with shifting personnel.  And then, of course, jamming out with
the looping OMB (acoustic mostly, and lately the Ztar doubleneck--the new
OS
is ready to ship!).  I have a gig on Friday, tho, where I need the (mostly
mothballed) laptop OMB.  So I bumped up the memory on the new Dell and
opened a few dozen of my Cakewalk files in Sonar 2 to use for that (Beach
Boys, Buffett, tropical).  Got it done tonight and decided to jam out a
little bit on the EDP with a regular solid body electric.
Wow, what a difference!  Instead of the stricture of structure, the
serendipity of allowing the "now".  I still haven't figured out how to sell
that part to an audience, but when it comes to solo performance, so much
more of the animal magic is manifested--probably due to the absence of
backing tracks to mask it, but also because of the nuance.
I will, however, drag the EDP to the gig and (hopefully) sneak a little
looping in on 'em.  Renaissance Hotel at Hollywood and Highland--anybody
playing Friday night in LA?
Gary