Re: WATER MUSIC

At 2:57 PM -0500 10/1/02, jim palmer wrote:

>i studied a bit with a performance artist named jim pomeroy

Jim also had a piece using oil cans with screw-on lids. At the
beginning of a show these would be sitting on a camp stove with water
boiling in them, steam rising out of the openings. Jim would make his
entrance, turn off the burners, and screw the lids on. During the
next few minutes the heated water vapor inside the cans cooled off,
reducing the internal pressure until the cans slowly began to
implode. The resulting pinging sound was amplified, and I believe
also run through an echo unit. The name of the piece was something on
the order of "Self-playing Gamelan."

Jim was great! He reminded me of Mr. Wizard on acid.

Richard Zvonar, PhD
(818) 788-2202
http://www.zvonar.com
http://RZCybernetics.com