Re: What Looper's Delight is (was Re: hardware sequencers)

At 02:18 PM 10/1/2002, Bret wrote:
>Kim,
>Mea culpa, father Kim. Forgive me.

ok, you are forgiven for the whole fragmenting thing. But not for calling
me "father kim".

>I did not mean to fragment the looping community, but simply to share
>music files.  It is great to talk about music and looping, but hearing
>examples is better yet, for me.

yes, I think that would be a great feature to add to the LD site. Who can
help put something like that together?

>The theremin list I belong to used
>Yahoo groups for temporary sharing of theremin recordings, and that
>seemed to work well until a better server was established.  MP3.com
>takes too long to approve new music to make it useful.

I hate the idea of using those commercial operations to do stuff like
this.
You have to subjugate yourself to whatever rules they decide to impose,
and
you are at the mercy of their horrible reliability and service. At any
moment they may decide it doesn't fit their business plan anymore and
delete the whole thing. I much prefer the DIY route.

>Looper's delight did not have an area to post music, so I used yahoo
>groups as a location.  Sorry, I did not think to ask if you would add
>such a section.

Yes, and that is my point. People should be thinking that way! If this is
home for the looping community, then people here should be considering the
opportunities they may have to improve it. Be an active participant in the
community, not just a passive viewer.

And it also means more than just asking for a feature. If you really want
to see it happen, help do some of the work!

>Perhaps I'm wrong, but I thought this idea was
>discussed in past years and there was some space constraint on the ld
>server.

Long ago, that would have been true, but we moved to a new server a few
years ago so there is much more disk space. There are still limits of
course. I don't think it would make sense as a place for everybody to
upload all their music and flog their albums. You can get your own site
for
that. But it would be great to have a place where people can upload
examples of different ideas and concepts.

>What needs to happen in order to add an area to loopers delight to
>allow uploading and sharing of music files?  If that can be done, then
>I will use LD to post loop music, delete the yahoo group loopmusic, and
>once again we will be defragmented and harmony can return :-)

What needs to happen is we need to decide what such a section on LD would
do, and how it might work. What would you like it to do? Probably it would
be restricted in some way such that only people subscribed to the list can
upload a file, but anybody can download it. What else?

And then we need to find somebody who can help with any programming or set
up to make it become real. Probably there are already open source scripts
out there that already do what we would want, or perhaps just need a
little
modification. Or maybe somebody would want to build it all from scratch.
Is
anybody interested in volunteering to help put this together?

kim