Re: Audio Clips on LD

At 09:27 PM 10/2/2002, Will wrote:
> > What needs to happen is we need to decide what such a section on LD
>would
> > do, and how it might work. What would you like it to do? Probably it
>would
> > be restricted in some way such that only people subscribed to the
>list can
> > upload a file, but anybody can download it. What else?
> >

>This is all exciting.  I hope you wont limit the section to audio clips
>that show examples of ideas and concepts.  That's a great reason to
>post but just sharing music is reason enough imho.

I don't see the point of it, people can put their music on their own sites
and provide a link on LD. We already do that with the very popular user
profiles:
http://www.loopers-delight.com/cgi-bin/profiles.cgi

(the profiles section could use some revamping btw, that is another
project.)

What is sorely missing are audio samples that help explain what looping is
all about, teach various techniques, provide examples for discussion, etc.
Having a good central place for such things would be nice, and being
available to people on the mailing list to upload for illustrating a
discussion is even better. This is really more in keeping with the point
of
LD, imo.

>Speaking of asking
>for features and not helping, I'd like to ask fer one that I have no
>way to help with... If you have the bandwidth could a Shoutcast stream
>be made of the songs uploaded?

Bandwidth isn't free for anybody, and that uses a *lot* of bandwidth.
Unless a whole bunch of you are planning to send me large amounts of money
on a regular basis, this isn't likely to happen. I already lose enough
money every year because of LD. I'm not looking for ways to lose more....

at some point somebody was going to set up a looper's delight station on
live365 or someplace like that. whatever happened to that? Did it die from
lack of interest? If some volunteers were willing to commit themselves to
really making something like that work, it could be pretty nice. It won't
work though if the station just gets set up and abandoned.

>I'd be willing to donate some space if it'll help.  FYI,
>http://smartconsumers.infinology.com/bas_host.htm offers 9gig of space
>for <100$ per year.  They also have extremely generous bandwidth
>allotments.

thanks, that seems like a nice deal, but I've got web hosting figured out
already. I'm looking for helpers, not disk space....

kim