Midi question

Its been 10 years or so since I really got technical with Midi, and I
seem to have forgotten a lot - so sorry if its a stupid question.

I'm going to be connecting a number of devices/controllers/keyboards to
the same midi loop, and am looking for a splitter  that will split a
single midi out to many outputs, and also do the same for the inputs
(Many to many). Whilst I understand that this can be achieved using the
Midi Thru ports on the various devices, I believe that I will experience
latency problems.

So, is what I am looking for called a Midi Thru box?

--
Stuart Wyatt - Solo String Project
http://www.solostring.com