MIDI files problem on a Mac: "Logical end-of-file reached..."

Hey gang,

the other night I as attempting to upgrade the OS on my Roland MC-307.  I
downloaded the files (standard MIDI files in a .sit archive) unstuffed
them,
and loaded them up into Digital Performer.  They would either freeze my
Mac, or
cause the 307 to freeze every time.  The result?  Now I have no OS on my
MC-307.  Boots up to a blank screen.

Called Roland tech service and they led me to a MIDI player utility called
Q-midi and they resent me the files in case mine were corrupt.  When I
tried to
open them in Q-MIDI I got an error that said, "Logical end-of-file reached
during read.  Error -39"  Same thing with Cakewalk's Metro5.  Same thing
with
the original files I downloaded, and the files that Roland emailed me.
Funny
thing is, the quicktime player will actually play the files, but I can't
divert
that output to my Fastlane USB MIDI interface.

Any ideas?  I'm running Mac OS 9.2.2.  There's PC MIDI players and PC
drivers
for the MOTU Fastlane MIDI interface, and I'm going to try them, as well
as the
OSX drivers, tonight.  Before I did, I was just wondering if anyone has had
similar problems with MIDI files on a Mac.  Roland said they send these
files
out all the time with no problems.  Mac and PC.  Weird.  They were happy to
have me bring the unit in to an authorized service center for the upgrade
at no
cost, but I thought I'd give it one more time before losing the unit for a
week.

Thanks,

Mark Sottlilaro