Re: leaseetsllitogetherowndefinehateo!

 das <das@ubuibi.org> wrote:

>hey does anyone have/use a melotron ? optigon ?

I've recorded with one at Fort Apache in Cambridge, MA, a photo of which may be seen by the handful of you who have a copy of the Chain Tape Project's CD "Seventy-Five Seconds". The Fort has two Mellotrons (or at least they did a few years ago) that they got at auction along with a bunch of other nifty gear (Epiphone 12-string, Vox AC30, Sgt. Pepper costumes, etc.) when the show "Beatlemania" folded. One of their 'trons is (was?) ravaged as a parts supply for the other functioning one. Hence, the problem with 'em: they're very delicate and subject to continual breakdown. Probably the coolest thing about the Mellotron is the LACK of hi-fidelity; the wobbling eeriness of a Mellotron or a Chamberlain is IMHO most desireable, but at the same time, they're definitely not very dependable. Since using that one, I've found that I can get a pretty realistic range of Mellotron sounds using Soundfonts.

My former drummer found a perfectly good Optigan abandoned by the side of the highway last year... No discs, tho'...

-t-

Do you Yahoo!?
faith.yahoo.com