From: Jeff Shirkey [mailto:jcshirke@midway.uchicago.edu]
Sent: Wednesday, October 16, 2002 2:42 PM
To: Loopers-Delight@loopers-delight.com
Subject: Re: innocent pleasures: was recommended listening/frisell

>isn't it interesting how so many musicians get angry when you
>point out someone you think they were influenced by?

We had a similar discussion on the jazz guitar list. Personally, I'd
take it as the highest compliment if someone told me he could hear
the influence of 'x', 'y', or 'z' in my playing. It's one thing to
say in a derogatory tone, "Oh, you just sound like a 'so and so'
clone". It's quite another thing for a listener to hear and
appreciate specific influences in your playing--for one thing, it
means they are paying close attention to what you're doing!

Jeff