Re: Slightly OT: mini hard disc recorders

afaik, the Archos does not record to .wav.  The
problem with the Nomad 3 has been that there are no
recording level controls...until recently.  Creative
recently released firmware upgrade that gives you:

"Enhanced Recording Features
- Audio Monitoring for Line-In and Optical-In
- Stereo Recording Level Meter
- Recording Level Adjustment"

Amazon sells the 20GB version for about $330, and the
40GB for ~ $500...and you can get 'after market' 60GB
versions on ebay.

I've been toying with getting one of these for a while
now, but have held off because of the lack of
recording meters, but now that that has
changed....hmmmm.  Apparently the "3" version has
fixed a bunch of problems in earlier versions, and has
pretty good audio specs.

If you do a search on groups.google.com for 'nomad
jukebox 3 recording' there are a couple of good
threads about this beast in rec.audio.pro.

It looks like the software shipped with the unit does
*not* give you a standard filesystem view, and is said
to be repleat with adware and even spyware(!).
Apparently the shareware 'notmad' at
http://www.redchairsoftware.com solves these problems.

Note that there is no mic preamp in the unit, only
optical and analog line in.

I'd like to hear other's experiences recording with
this dealybob!

Stephen

--- Goddess <thefates@earthlink.net> wrote:
>   Hi All, a while back the topic had come up about
> mini disc recorders, and
> mini hard disc recorders for playing and recording
> mp3s or uncompressed
> audio in the field.  The two hd recorders I remember
> being mentioned were
> the Archos Jukebox and the Nomad 3

=====
Stephen